DEPARTMENT CONVENTION…REPORT OF THE RULES COMMITTEE
It is recommended that with the following modifications, Roberts Revised Rules of Order be adopted for the __________ Annual Department Convention of The American Legion:
1. A delegate who desires to make a motion or address the Convention shall rise, address the chair as “Mr. Commander,” state his name and number of his Post before proceeding.
2. Debate shall be limited to five minutes for each speaker.
3. That only two delegates from any delegation be permitted on the floor on any one subject.
4. That debate on any one subject is restricted to not more than fifteen minutes.
5. That the floor be permitted but once to any individual delegate on any one subject, except at the discretion of the Department Commander and with further exception, that the Chairman of the Convention Committee may speak as frequently as may be necessary in connection with the report of his respective committee.
6. All “resolutions” must have been in the hands of the Department Adjutant no-later-than _________and must have the endorsement & approval of the respective Post prior to being submitted.
7. All “resolutions” submitted to the Department Adjutant, will have been forwarded to the Convention Resolution Committee Chairman no-later-than __________.
8. All convention resolutions must be submitted to the convention through and by the Department Resolution Committee, or the Department Finance Chairman if the resolution pertains to Department expenditures.
9. The Department Resolution Committee or the Department Executive Committee may initiate a resolution.
10. Nominating speeches for the Department Officers shall be limited to five minutes, and not more than one seconding speech shall be permitted, which shall be limited to two minutes.
11. In the event more than two candidates are nominated for any office, balloting shall continue until one candidate shall receive a majority of the votes of the convention.
12. Delegate strength count tabulation will be conducted by an appointed non-district/department officer; a representative from each Grand Division (East, Middle, and West), currently attending the convention. The Presiding Convention Chairman will have the current East, Middle, and West Division Commanders to appoint a representative from within their division. Once delegate tabulation is complete, the results will be presented to the Convention Secretary.
13. Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Convention shall be elected by the Department Convention, giving each District representation according to its membership and providing for Delegates and Alternates-at-large.
14. Election of Department Officers and Delegates and Alternates to the National Convention shall be in the following order:
a. Elections of Delegates and Alternates to the National Convention…
b. Delegates & Alternates-at-large shall be elected by the Convention following the most recent District caucuses.
c. District Commanders were elected at their respective District Convention and will be announced from the Convention platform and installed at the current Department Convention.
d. The Department Vice Commander of each Division to be both nominated and elected during their respective Division caucus and installed at the same Department Convention.
e. (every two years only). Election of National Executive Committeeman and Alternate NEC… both will be nominated and elected by the Convention.
f. The Department Senior Vice Commander will be nominated and elected by the Convention and installed at the same Department Convention.
g. The Department Commander will be nominated and elected by the Convention and installed at the same Department Convention.
15. Delegates and persons recognized by the Chair shall be entitled to a fair and respectful hearing, and the Chair shall have the authority to clear the aisles on the floor, or have the Sergeant-at-Arms escort from the auditorium any persons causing disturbances which interferes with order in the procedure of the Convention of The American Legion.
Mr. Commander, I move the adoption of this Report and that this report be adopted as the Rules of this Convention.
Signed by the Convention Secretary
AMERICAN LEGION DEPARTMENT CONVENTION
REPORT OF THE PERMANENT ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE
Mr. Commander, it is recommended that the following permanent organization be adopted for the -_______Annual Convention of The American Legion.
1. That the Department Commander be made the permanent Chairman of the Department Convention with power to designate a Vice-Commander or the Department Judge Advocate (providing the Dept Judge Advocate is a Past Dept CDR), to act as Chairman of the Convention in his absence.
2. The Department Adjutant be made the permanent Secretary of the Department Convention with power to appoint such assistant secretaries as may be deemed necessary.
Mr. Commander, I move the adoption of this report.
Signed by the Convention Secretary